About Ph.D. Program
RK University’s Ph.D. program, leading to the award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), provides students with a unique opportunity to obtain research training in various disciplines, under the aegis of the Faculties of Management, Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, and Technology. The Faculty of Doctoral Studies & Research provides strong support to all the research-related activities across the RKU campus.
|Sr. No.||Faculty||Available Ph.D. Supervisors’ Research Specialization|
|1||Management||Management – Finance, Marketing, Entrepreneurship|
|2||Medicine||Medicine – Physiotherapy|
|3||Pharmacy||Pharmacy – Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, & Quality Assurance|
|4||Science||Chemistry – Organic Chemistry, Materials Science (Interdisciplinary Area)
Microbiology – Agricultural Microbiology
Physics – Materials Science (Interdisciplinary Area)
Environmental Science (Interdisciplinary Area)
|5||Technology||Engineering – Chemical Engineering
Electronics & Communication Engineering
Computer Science, & Applied Mathematics
- Prospective candidates must possess a post-graduate (Master’s) degree (full-time course from a UGC-recognized university or institute) or equivalent (as certified by a Government authority such as AICTE, UGC, or AIU) with at least 55% marks or an equivalent CGPA (50% marks or an equivalent CGPA for SC/ST/OBC/DA candidates). The degree must have been awarded be as per the norms approved by concerned regulatory authority, empowered by the Government of India. If the degree has been obtained from a foreign country, the candidate will have to submit an equivalence certificate, certifying that the awarded degree is equivalent to a full-time course of a recognized Indian university. Such an equivalence certificate needs to be issued by a competent authority of the Government of India (e.g., AICTE, UGC, or AIU).
- Candidates who have cleared GATE/NET/SLET/GPAT or an equivalent examination are not required to appear for written exam of RAT, however, they do need to appear for the Department Research Committee (DRC) interview, provided the (aforementioned) examination scores continue to remain valid on the day RKU conducts RAT. Admission merit of the scholars who have cleared (aforementioned) examination will be based on marks of DRC interview.
- Prospective applicants pursuing their Master’s degrees may also appear for RKU’s RAT (and/or for the interview), only if they are confident about obtaining their provisional degree certificates before the scheduled Ph.D. Orientation Program. In accordance with the UGC guidelines, we can only offer Ph.D. admission letters to those students who have a provisional degree certificate in hand on the day of the Ph.D. Orientation Program (when we draft the dated admission letters).
Prospective doctoral candidates may register in one of the following programs:
- Full Time Program (FTP)
- External Registration Program (ERP)
FTP & ERP candidates must complete and clear coursework exams during the initial one or two semesters. Also needs to attend all the FDSR-related events (Department Research Committee Meetings, Research Advisory Committee Meetings, etc.). PhD Scholar has to obtain a minimum of 55% of marks or its equivalent grade in the UGC 7-point scale in the course work in order to be eligible to continue in the programme and submit the thesis. FTP candidates must work on campus during the entire duration of the Ph.D. program while ERP candidates do not need to work on campus.
The Ph.D. program includes both coursework and research work. Details regarding the coursework syllabus will be posted on the FDSR webpage. During the Ph.D. program, all doctoral researchers are expected to undertake original (and meaningful) research work that adds value to their respective fields of study. All Ph.D. students need to maintain a laboratory notebook and safely preserve all original data (as well as lab. samples, software programs, product prototypes, etc.) for future scrutiny. Data fabrication of any kind will lead to an immediate expulsion from the Ph.D. program. All doctoral researchers are expected to interact with their supervisors/co-supervisors on a regular basis and abide by the recommendations made by the expert committees. Besides publishing in RKU-approved journals and presenting at RKU-approved international conferences, all Ph.D. scholars are also expected to engage themselves in other scholarly activities, including but not limited to grant applications, patent applications, etc. RKU also encourages it’s doctoral researchers to work on research-inspired entrepreneurial initiatives.
Ph.D. students from the 2015, 2016, 2017, and subsequent batches will be eligible for synopsis/thesis submission only if they publish in journals that either have a Thomson-Reuters Impact Factor and/or a SCImago Journal Ranking (SJR). Both of these journal metrics have been globally accepted by the scientific community. India’s National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) gives special emphasis on these two widely accepted metrics. The Faculty of Doctoral Studies & Research (FDSR) at RK University duly recognizes only these two journal metrics. All current and prospective students are advised to refer to FDSR’s Jan. 23 (2016) guidelines for further details.
For INDIAN Students
|Application Fees||Rs. 2,000|
|Course Work Examination Fees||Rs. 3,000|
|Annual Fees||Rs. 55,000|
|Thesis Evaluation Fees||Rs. 15,000|
- The University reserves the right to revise the fee and payment structure.
- Scholar will be eligible to submit synopsis after successful completion of five Research Advisory Committee (RAC) presentation. Scholar will get six months of time after synopsis to submit final thesis.
- Research Advisory Committee (RAC) will be conducted twice in year on semester basis.
- If the synopsis is not submitted within 3rd year, scholar should pay the fees (semester wise 27,500/-) then after till submission of synopsis. Scholar will get time of six months to submit thesis from the date of synopsis submission and no need to pay fees for that duration.
- If scholar is not able to submit thesis within this stipulated time, he/she has to pay fees (semester wise) till the submission of thesis.
Candidates admitted under the FTP category will be eligible for financial support in the form of Teaching Assistantship (TA) / Research Assistantship (RA), subject to RKU regulations. The assistantship is Rs. 12,000/- per month. For deserving candidates, the starting figure of the assistantship may be higher. The responsibilities associated with the teaching / research assistantship includes conducting laboratory courses and tutorials for undergraduate students, assisting in teaching, academic administration and forming research proposals. Notwithstanding anything mentioned above, the Dean of the concerned school may prescribe varying workload and type of work.
Candidates will be required to download the application form by clicking on the link given below. Application fee is Rs. 2000/-. Candidates must send the completed application form along with a ‘Demand Draft’ or ‘Payable at par Cheque’ of Rs. 2000/- in favor of FACULTY OF DOCTORAL STUDIES & RESEARCH RK University to the address given below –
C/O RK Physiotherapy Center
Opposite Meghani Rangbhavan
Rajkot – 360002, Gujarat
Candidates are advised to write their name and the program applied for (PhD) at the backside of the DD or cheque. The institute takes no responsibility for loss of DD in transit. Candidates need to indicate in which school of RKU they wish to be admitted in the application form.
All Ph.D. applicants need to submit the required documents and appear for RK University’s Research Aptitude Test (RAT) and committee interview. The no. of available seats in the Ph.D. program (and the available Ph.D. supervisors’ research specializations) would be clearly mentioned in the admission notification published every year (well in advance) before the scheduled entrance test and interview. Candidates who have cleared GATE/NET/SLET/GPAT or an equivalent examination are not required to appear for RAT (however, they do need to appear for the committee interview), provided the (aforementioned) exam. scores continue to remain valid on the day RKU conducts it’s own entrance test/interview.
RKU’S RESEARCH APTITUDE TEST:
- Question paper – 100 multiple choice questions.
- Maximum marks – 100.
- Time duration – 120 minutes.
- The question paper will have 2 sections
- Section 1 – Questions on Research Methodology – 50 marks.
- Section 2 – Subject-specific questions – 50 marks
- Each question will have multiple choices (e.g., (a) (b) (c), and (d)).
- Each correct answer will carry 1 mark.
Presentation before DRC
RAT examination will be followed by Presentation cum interview of each candidate to evaluate the research aptitude and skills of the candidate. Hence, all PhD candidates are advised to prepare a temporary research proposal and present the same before the Admission Committee at the time of interview. It would be desirable, if the research proposal presented at the time of interview is finally adopted for doctoral work; but if a candidate so desires, he/she will be allowed to take on a different research project for their doctoral study after admission to PhD programme. Candidates should bring soft copy of their presentation in a pen drive and hard copy for submission. Candidates should bring along research papers and documents related to research grants, funding schemes, awards, honors or any other credit certificates etc. for producing the same during interview.
Overall selection criteria for admission will be based on RAT result (70% weightage) and Presentation cum interview performance (30% weightage). The RAT and interview results will generally be declared within 15 days of conducting the entrance test and candidate interviews. The PhD guides will be allocated to selected candidates by ‘Guide Allocation Committee’ of RK University, at the time of orientation program. Only full-time PhD guides (in employment of RK University) shall be allocated to the selected candidates.
Admission to PhD programme will be confirmed by the university on receipt of signed guide consent form, 1st year fees, NOC from current employer, place of work permission, verification of original documents etc.
After admission, a Research Advisory Committee (RAC) shall be appointed for each scholar, which shall guide the research scholar in all matters of the Ph.D. program including prescribing of coursework. Within 3 to 6 months, the admitted research scholar will prepare a research proposal in one of the areas identified at the time of admission which will be examined by the Research Advisory Committee (RAC) consisting of Dean of the concerned school, head of the department, Guide, Co-guide, if any, and one expert to be nominated by the Provost (VC). On recommendation of RAC, the final shape of the research proposal along with tentative title of the topic of research shall be decided.
All Ph.D. scholars are required to acquire the prescribed credits (as applicable) through coursework, which shall normally be completed within the first two semesters of joining the doctoral program. The lecture courses will be completed in the 1st semester. There shall be a course of 4 credits on Research Methodology, a course of 4 credits pertaining to the area of research, and another self-study course (on literature survey) worth 3 credits. The details will be posted to the FDSR webpage(s) from time to time. The coursework examination will be conducted at the end of the semester. This will be followed by the student seminar on literature review. The overall passing standard would be 55% for two courses worth 4 credits. The assessment for the self-study course (on literature survey and worth 3 credits) would be based on the overall performance of the doctoral candidate (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) during the (PowerPoint) presentation seminar.
After registration of a research scholar, the DRC will meet the research scholar at least once in a semester and monitor his/her progress and based on the suggestions of the committee, the research scholar will take follow-up actions. A research scholar will attend total 6 Research Advisory Committees (excluding synopsis presentation), from which minimum 5 successful attempts are compulsory before submission of synopsis.
Normally, the research scholar will submit the synopsis/ thesis only after duration of 3 years from the date of first admission. The maximum time limit for submission of PhD synopsis/thesis shall be 4 years from the date of first admission. Provided however, that the Provost (VC), on the recommendation of the DRC and Dean, Faculty of Doctoral Studies & Research, may after 4 years, permit the research scholar to renew the registration up to 6 years, on payment of due fees.
- Pass/fail/absent at any event of PhD Program (viz. Department Research Committee, Coursework Exam, Research Advisory Committee etc.) will be treated as one attempt. Hence, PhD scholars are advised to avoid absenteeism from such events.
- Fees of any kind, once paid, will not be refunded under any circumstances.